To put it simply: Mobile, as in real-time via wireless, means data can be collected, analyzed, and acted on in real time. This is significant from a safety perspective, enabling you to respond instantaneously to impacts and other safety-related events.
It is also critical for effective fleet management. Let’s take a look at the reasons it pays to deploy mobile telematics in your warehouse or distribution center:
- Uncovers forklift issues in real time: A sidelined forklift drags down the productivity of your operation. If you do not have real-time insight, the forklift may be inactive for days before you find out or can diagnose and rectify the problem. Mobile telematics helps you respond promptly to mechanical or power issues to keep the fleet at maximum availability and performance since you know the status of each fleet member in real time.
- Matches dynamic workloads: Mobile telematics supports monitoring and adjusting fleet assignments and utilization to match dynamic workloads.
- Improves fleet utilization and driver productivity: With detailed location information, you get a real-time view of traffic, giving you the opportunity to adjust job assignment patterns for better fleet utilization and driver productivity. Based on your newfound knowledge, you may discover that the warehouse should be rerouted to promote better flow of products or that some drivers need more training to match the productivity of their higher-performing peers.
- Promotes fleet “right sizing”: Improved fleet utilization and driver productivity will help you evaluate whether you really need every forklift currently in use. Although your warehouse appears to be busy, looks alone can be deceiving. Data gathered by your mobile telematics solution will give you the facts that you need to determine if you are actually in a position to cut back on the number of vehicles.
- Provides detailed data: Mobile telematics collects high levels of detailed data that you can use to – as stated above – evaluate fleet utilization as well as fine tune everything from equipment to task assignments. For example, it enables you to compare times for login and logoff, time idling, time in motion, time in motion with load, and more.
The key to optimal productivity is effective fleet management. With mobile telematics, you gain the necessary insights to ensure that all forklifts and drivers perform their best.