Good help is hard to find and challenging to keep. There are many staffing shortages across supply chain industries. Manufacturing lacks skilled workers and there’s a shortage of qualified drivers in the trucking industry. Your warehouse or distribution center probably faces similar challenges in finding experienced forklift operators and retaining them once they are trained.
Finding the right person for the job is often more complicated than a quick interview and background check. Believe it or not, your telematic systems may play a role in the caliber of employee you attract and your ability to retain them.
- Applicants you interview are sizing up what your enterprise has to offer them — including the importance of safety and the role technology plays in everyday operations. They may have previous experience with automated and computerized processes for routing and inventory control or they may be familiar with how to do the job more efficiently with the help of telematics.
- Before you hire a new forklift operator, validate their skills through a hands-on test. Telematics can monitor how they performed during their test period. Did they fully complete the safety check? Did they speed or drive recklessly?
- Your ideal candidate for the job should embrace safety protocols. Ask how they have ensured safety or avoided injuries in the past. Ask which protocols they see as most important. Do they value telematic insight as part of the safety process?
- Once you fill the position, operator training programs can improve competency and ensure your new operator feels comfortable on the job. OSHA requires all new hires to be trained on the actual vehicles they will use in their new working environment. Regardless of a driver’s previous experience, training is a vital priority as soon as your new hire reports to work.
- Once you have the right people on the job, you need to keep them. It doesn’t require a lot of time or effort to make an employee feel valued. Being an appreciated team member creates job satisfaction and a desire to stay. You can, for example, easily track a forklift operator’s performance and productivity and offer praise and recognition regarding areas in which they excel, The right telematic platform provides these types of insights quickly and easily.
Attracting and hiring the right forklift operators for your enterprise can be challenging, especially with the recent shortage of qualified candidates. Ask the right questions, test their skills, and leverage your telematic insight to attract, train and retain your employees.